Friday, January 22, 2010

Building a House with Julie (Part 2 of 2)



Whenever I think of that, I feel guilty. No body could really blame Julie. It really was fun to build a house. We would take a large drawing board and set it between our beds. That was the roof. Then we would proceed to place all our blankets on top of the roof to make it more cozy. The heat register was between our beds, so it would be inside the house we had made. We usually pulled a blanket down from off the board and formed a wall. This trapped heat in the house and in minutes it would be very warm inside. This was nice in the wintertime.
We soon developed a set order for doing things. The heat register became known as “Cousin Warms.” We would pretend that we were going to visit him. Julie and I would sit on top of my bed, on top of my pillow. This was our sleigh. I had my arms around Julie and she had her arms around Teddy, my big teddy bear. We rode along through the snow (my white bed sheet) for a long time until we came to Cousin Warms’ house. Then we would get into the house. Cousin Warms would have everything all toasty warm for us inside.

Sometimes we were fortunate enough to sneak into the kitchen before we went to bed and get some Ritz Crackers. We put these on Cousin Warms’ stove, which was the heat vent. We called this Cousin Warms also. (How many people do you know who are both themselves and their stove at the same time?) It was great fun. You can see why Julie was so upset when I didn’t want to build a house on some nights.
Now days it seems like kids have so many things to interest them. There is something profoundly simple about a house made with blankets.

No comments:

Post a Comment