
Karen was next, then Vera, then finally me. Each time, grandma repeated the process. I watched her very carefully to try and catch her and see how she switched the rocks for the candy. I was old enough to know that she really couldn’t change rocks to candy. I was also tall enough to just barely catch a glimpse of the bag of store-bought rock candy on top of the refrigerator. Even though I was catching on to her tricks, it was still fun to have her play with us
this way. I think she liked it too.
Sometimes we caught Grandma off guard. We would come running in her house and shout, “Here’s a rock, Grandma. Now change it to candy.” She would go through the same ritual, but instead of rock-like candy appearing, she came up with a little package of Smarties, gum, or something else.

As she grew older Grandma’s health slowly became worse. One of the last times she changed rocks into candy, she was sitting in her chair since she couldn’t stand for very long. But she still changed the rocks into candy.
One day though, we knew her rock changing days were over. She went in the hospital to have her gallstones removed. We figured gallstones had something to do with being able to change rocks to candy. The next time we saw her, one of my sisters said, “Well, Grandma, I guess you can’t change rocks into candy anymore.”
No comments:
Post a Comment