Sunday, January 10, 2010

Going To The Translator With Dad (Part 4 of 6)


When Dad found the light switch, I could see the racks of radio and television devices. The metal panels had knobs, switches, dials, and meters and I could see pipes coming out of the tops of the racks. These went up through the roof where they were attached to the antennas and dishes.
I noticed some crude bunk beds, the frame-work was made out of two-by-fours. It was nice to see there would be a nice place to sleep even on top of a mountain. While my dad worked on the translator itself, there was plenty for me to do. I found several strips of metal outside and I had fun bending these into all sorts of shapes. Right next to the building there was a pile of sand and very fine gravel. I stuck my pieces of metal in the sand and made little buildings. I even made some arch-shaped building out of metal and I called them my McDonald’s golden arches.
That first night, when I was about ready for bed, Dad was still busy working on a part of the translator so I was left with nothing to do before I went to sleep. It was very cold outside, so I couldn’t go out there.
Dad, noticing my boredom, asked, “Do you see those little boxes over there?”
He pointed to some red and blue tube boxes on a small table. “I want you to take all the tubes out and put them in a larger box, then throw away the small boxes.
I was delighted to have a job to do. I felt like I was saving KSL a lot of money by doing that little job. I felt important.
Actually, I was pretty important. I gave my dad someone to talk to on his long and lonely trips to the translators.

No comments:

Post a Comment