In 1970 the rage in children’s television was Sesame Street. Since my sisters and I all liked watching it. That was an important part of our day. One evening I was watching the end of Sesame Street. My sisters had already gone upstairs to get ready for dinner. When Sesame Street was over I watched the announcements on the public TV station. I was about to turn the TV off and go upstairs myself, but I saw the beginning of a new program with little houses and tinkling music -- then the title, “Mr. Rogers’ Neighborhood.”
I was immediately attached to it. Mr. Rogers was so gentle and kind. He spoke right to me, not trying to confuse me with mature jokes. And he didn’t talk down to me, but right at me. After a few minutes, he told me we were going to the Neighborhood of Make-believe. That really got my attention. Suddenly a little trolley car appeared from behind his seat. He said, “To the Neighborhood of Make-Believe, Trolley.” The trolley started off again. But my mom was calling me up for dinner. Reluctantly, I turned off the TV.
The next day, Vera and I were watching Sesame Street together. Dinner was going to be later that night, so I knew I would get to see the new show I found. After Sesame Street was over, I told Vera about Mr. Rogers. When the program came on, Vera seemed to be just as entranced as I was the night before. When Mr. Rogers spoke of the Neighborhood of Make-Believe, I said to Vera, “Of course, I have never been to the Neighborhood of Make-Believe, but we will probably go there today.” Sure enough, Mr Rogers did take us there. I was amazed by all the characters. King Friday, Daniel Striped Tiger, “X” the Owl, Corny the rocking chair manufacturer, Lady Elaine, Lady Aberlin (I had a secret crush on her), and little Henrietta Pussycat.
No comments:
Post a Comment