
It took me several weeks to do these histories and by the time I finished, I was getting into some more challenging music on the piano. I had actually graduated to songs that used both hands at one time.
The songs in the beginning were relatively easy. This was to help me become familiar with the notes on the music staff and make the connection to press the correct keys on the piano. It was supposed to become automatic, but in my case it didn’t. One reason was that the piano method I was learning required me to use only certain fingers to press certain keys. The music had little numbers written beside the notes showing me which finger I was supposed to use. That made it easy since in those early songs, I never had to move my hands, just my fingers. I quickly graduated from the beginner piano books to the first grade and then the second grade, but of course each book got progressively harder.
My parents made me practice a half an hour each day. I had a little timer that sat up on the piano which I could set for the amount of time I needed. The nice thing about it was that I could push it ahead a little bit if I wanted to get done faster. But sometimes I got caught, especially if Mom was making dinner and carefully watching the time for when Dad was to be home. She got leery pretty quickly when my timer went off five minutes earlier than it should have.
No comments:
Post a Comment