Friday, March 19, 2010

Practicing the Piano (Part 2 of 6)


So I started piano lessons again at the age of eight and a half. This time I took lessons from a lady who lived near by named Francine Spencer. She started me off easy. “Let’s learn the names of the notes,” she said. She had me draw pictures of animals which corresponded to a musical note. “A is the first note, so what word begins with A?”
“Ape,” I said.
“How about B?”
“Beagle,” I said again.
So we went through the letters all the way to G, which is the last of the musical notes. She told me to go home and draw a picture of each animal along with a large letter that corresponded to the animals name. End of lesson. Wow, that was easy!
I went home and did the assignment. I was most proud of G. I drew a giraffe for the note, G.
The next week, I started to play some songs. My first song was called, “March of the middle C Twins.” It was easy. I switched off playing middle C, with my right and left thumbs. Then Francine gave my next assignment. I was to write some little histories of the composers.
My mom took me to the public library and helped me do some
research on the great composers of music. I did Bach, Mozart, Beethoven, Schubert, and Brahms. I learned that Brahms wrote the song that goes, “Lullaby, and good night” I didn’t know that before, and I marveled how babies before Brahms’ time ever got to sleep without it.

No comments:

Post a Comment