
During all this time I was still working on my symphony. I took my music book everywhere. I took it to school and wrote in it during recess. I took it to family reunions and wrote in it while other kids were playing games. And I worked on it during every spare moment I had, except for when I was working on my harpsichord.
Finally, my work was done. The Second Symphony of William Duncan Loveless the Fifth was complete. Oddly enough, all this time that I was pretending to be a composer, I had been taking piano lessons also. I knew that being able to play the piano was vital to being a composer, but that didn’t make me practice the piano any harder. (I took comfort in the fact that Wagner didn’t know how to play the piano, and he wrote operas that were several hours long!) When I stopped taking piano lessons, however, as much as I hated them, it seemed to diminish the magic of composing. I put all my music paper away and exchanged if for the drums.
Coming tomorrow: Saturday Morning Pancakes
No comments:
Post a Comment