
I also found several sheets of blank music paper. In fact I found a gold mine of it! I later found a little scores of all the music for one of Beethoven’s symphonies. That really caught my attention. It was a whole book of music. I decided I needed to write a symphony, and with my new-found music paper, I set to work almost at once.
It was great fun to write parts for the different instruments. I used the Beethoven book as a guide. I didn’t copy music down, but I saw how he did things and imitated that. Then finally the symphony was finished. But I left it on the back porch and by the next day, after a rainstorm, it was wet and soggy. To top off the tragedy, some kids came in my backyard and tore it all up.
After that, I concentrated on songs. I wrote songs about astronauts and songs about myself and my family. I kept each song in a folder so I wouldn’t lose it and I have them to this day. I was more careful.
My parents began to take notice of my work, and even though it wasn’t real music in the sense that it could be played on the piano and enjoyed, they wanted to encourage me. One day when I was home sick in bed, my mom left for the music store. Almost jokingly, I asked her to pick up some staff paper. When she came home with a whole book of music paper, I was in composers’ heaven. With that, I set to work on my second symphony.
No comments:
Post a Comment