After that Mr. Rogers and his neighborhood became a permanent fixture in our television schedule. Mom adjusted the dinner schedule so we could watch it every night. I loved it and so did my sisters. I was intrigued by the concept of make-believe. I even had plans to build my own Neighborhood of Make-Believe.
Even though The Neighborhood of Make-Believe was all supposed to be pretend, I took the scenes as real. One episode seemed very real to me. Grand Pere, who lived in the Eiffel tower of the Neighborhood, and made french fries for everyone, had his cousin visiting him from France. Henrietta Pussycat was worried that this newcomer was prettier than she was. After some time, she became so upset that she thought the rest of the neighbors were going to send her away. I was so touched by that episode that my heart still aches when I remember the pleading words of Henrietta, “Please, MEOW, not send, MEOW, away.”
I was very concerned for that poor little cat, that I had to see that episode again. I looked in the newspaper to find out when it would be on again that day (on the other public TV station.) It was the same feeling when I watched it again. Oh, I felt so bad.
The next day the problem was resolved on the next episode, but ever since, then, I have had a soft place in my heart for Henrietta. Even more so, I think that episode softened my heart for almost all people. I am a little bit kinder and nicer because of a little furry puppet on the Mr. Rogers’ show.
Coming tomorrow: The 9a-1 Rocket
No comments:
Post a Comment