Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Band (Part 1 of 3)


In fourth grade I signed up for band so I could play the drums. The first thing I got were some drumsticks. My mom bought them for me after the first day. I am sure my parents would have rather rented an instrument for me, something that was more “musical.” Dad consoled himself and my mother by saying, “The drummer is the most important player in the band because he establishes the beat for everyone else to follow.”
I never saw a snare drum until the first day of band practice. The elementary school owned two of them. They were red with bright chrome trim. The heads, or the part where the drummer pounds his drumsticks, were speckled with gray and brown since they had been played so much. The bottom of the drums had wide bands of spring-like things. These were the snares. They gave the drums their metallic, rattling sound.
My parents told me they would get me a snare drum for Christmas. I was excited but I couldn’t wait. I tried to make a drum. I succeeded in making one out of heavy paper and glue, but the “snares” (Actually some heavy screen off an old window screen) didn’t give that metallic sound like I wanted them to.
I had a little rubber practice pad that provided the same bounce that a drum would. I was able to practice at home. My parents loved it since it didn’t make any noise!

No comments:

Post a Comment