Monday, June 28, 2010

Staying Up Late (Part 1 of 5)


I always wished I had more than twenty-four hours in a day. It seemed to me, when I was growing up, I just had too many projects going on to finish them in the time allotted during the day. Especially when you consider my bedtime was at 7:00 when I was in kindergarten and 7:30 when I was in first grade. There wasn’t enough time in the day for a busy little boy to get everything done that he needed to do in order to feel good about himself.
At my appointed bedtime each night my mom or dad would come in my room, help me say my prayers, sing me my standard bedtime song -- “Me and My Teddy Bear”, kiss me good night, and then leave, turning off the light as they went. Each night I layed there in the darkness for a few minutes, then jumped out of bed in a huff, exclaiming to myself, “Oh, I can’t sleep!” and turned on the light.
One of the greatest inventions for kids who want to stay up later than their parents let them is the mercury switch or a light switch similar to that. That is the silent type of switch, that can be turned on or off without noise. Well, unfortunately I didn’t have one in my room then. I knew that the loud click would be a dead give away.
One night I cupped my hands over the switch plate, hoping that would help absorb some of the sound after which I slowly pushed the switch upward. I thought I had done it. No sound! Then, at the last instant as the light came on, CLLIICKKK!! The sound reverberated around my room and out into the hall.
I stood there for a few moments holding my breath, ready to turn the light off again, jump into bed, and pretend to be asleep. But my parents didn’t come.

No comments:

Post a Comment