Thursday, June 24, 2010

Tennis Ball Cannons (Part 3 of 4)


I made so many tennis ball cannons that I used up all my dad’s electrical tape. I had to use masking tape after that although it was a little more dangerous since it could catch on fire. My mom didn’t seem to mind that I was playing with matches. At least it gave me something to do during the summer. I used to spend whole days looking for pop cans so I could make more cannons. I went to parks, looked in peoples garbage cans, and even dug them out of river bottoms where they had been stuck for a few years.
I was a tennis-ball-cannon-making-professional. I had it down to a science. Oh sure, I did cut myself a few times. My fingers still bear a few scars from the pop can tops that slipped as I cut them off, but every time I see those scars I think of the wonderful times I had while getting them!.
I also became good at visiting tennis courts right after people finished playing on them. They usually left their older balls behind. I would quickly pick up those balls and take them home for shooting in my cannons.
One day my friends and I had a war with tennis ball cannons. Instead of pointing them straight up, we pointed them at each other. We hid behind barricades and prepared our battery of cannons. It was a fun war. And luckily nobody got hurt.

No comments:

Post a Comment