
“Hogan’s Heros” was another favorite. While I was asleep, I dreamed that I was one of the prisoners of war and central to their underground operations during World War II. While I was awake, I made radios and secret listening devices. I even dug tunnels in the back yard. I wanted to be ready in case I ever needed to run my own underground operation.
I didn’t get as involved with shows that were just fun to watch, shows like “The Beverly Hillbillies,” “The Flintstones,” “The Dick Van Dyke Show,” “I love Lucy,” and “Candid Camera.” Many of these shows were re-runs in the afternoon after school. I liked them much better than cartoons that were aimed at kids in my age group.
One show that had special appeal to my sisters and I was “The Brady Bunch.” A family of three boys and three girls might be a novelty to some people but not to us. We had six kids in our family too, when the Brady Bunch first came on, so we could all relate to it. I finally tired of the show, especially when our family started getting bigger than the Bradys. Seeing every episode at least three times didn’t help either.

Research studies show that when kids watch too much TV, it diminishes their creativity. But I’m glad for the great shows I was able to watch as a child. For the few hours of quality TV shows I enjoyed, creativity wasn’t diminished, but enhanced.
Coming Tomorrow: Indian Boy
No comments:
Post a Comment