Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Staying Up Late (Part 3 of 5)


A while later Dad finished another bedroom in the basement. My sisters, Vera and Karen, moved down to it. When they did, I made a fascinating discovery: My sisters liked to stay up late as much as I did.
We liked to work on projects, but we also liked to spend time together. I am sure my parents were happy that we all got along fairly well, but they didn’t like our brotherly and sisterly fraternizing when we were supposed to be asleep. One night, it went like this:
Knock Knock.
“Who is it?”
“Billy.”
“Come in,” Vera whispered.
“It sounds like you’re having fun in here,” I said. I looked around the dark room, my eyes were adjusted after walking from my dark room through the dark family room and now into this dark room. Karen and Vera were there, of course, because it was their room. But my little sister Julie was there too. That surprised me since she still slept upstairs.
“Hey you guys,” I said to my sisters. “Want to hear what this kid did in school today?”
“Yeah!”
“He stood up on the teacher’s desk while she was out of the room, and then he jumped off just before she came back in.”
We caught up on gossip from school and at home, told jokes, had burping contests, and goofed off.

No comments:

Post a Comment