
Halloween was one of the best holidays at our house. We would brainstorm all year long to come up with a new costume to make for Halloween. One year I was Humpty Dumpty, another year I went as a jack-o-lantern. Still another year I wanted to dress-up as a giraffe, but that never happened. The real fun was making the Halloween costumes, but the candy was yummy too.
After we brought our bags of candy home on Halloween night, I would sit around with my sisters trading away candy that I didn’t like for candy that they didn’t like. I usually traded hard candy and suckers for soft candy, chocolate, and caramels. Those were my favorite -- caramels. When I would get one, I’d take off the wrapper and squish it and smash it and roll it out. I also made them into a four inch caramel ball, to nibble on to my heart’s content.
After we had overdosed on Halloween candy, Dad would put the trick-or-treat bags on top of the fridge. Mom had a rule that we could have one piece after each meal. That was only until I grew tall enough to reach up and get my trick-or-treat bag down.
It was always fun to go out trick-or-treating early so we could get back and help give out candy at our house. I liked seeing what other kids did for their costume and that would start the wheels in my mind turning for my next year’s Halloween plans. I tended to give the kids with the more original costumes more candy than the kids whose parents bought them a mask and cape at the store.
One year we decided to give out scones as our Halloween treat. These were the days before the warnings about taking only prepackaged treats, and we figured there would be no problem with a scone in a wax paper lunch bag, stapled shut. Mom made a large quantity of scone dough and then we took turns plunging them into the deep-fat fry pan.
No comments:
Post a Comment