In practically no time at all I finished the two tests! I was elated. When I woke up that morning, I had no idea that I would be able to pass the tests. I knew that it was unofficial, but I was so happy that I showed Mrs. Church what I had done. Her feelings were quite different. She thought I had brought them to her to get credit towards my Eversharp pencil. She said, very loudly, "No! No! No! I will not count these. You did not do them during the test period!"
She crumpled them up and threw them in the trash. I was as crushed as those papers. I went back to my desk, put my head down, and cried. The rest of the kids started working on something else after they finished their art projects, but I just kept my head down. Shortly afterward, Mrs. Church came to my desk. "I am sorry, Billy. I didn't mean to upset you."
"Well," I said through my tears, my head still down, "I just wanted to show you what I did. I didn't want credit for them."
Mrs. Church felt bad. She got the tests out of the garbage and looked them over. She saw that I had done them correctly and went immediately to the classroom chart and filled in the two spaces that represented the six and seven times tables for me. I had gotten credit for them!
No comments:
Post a Comment