Wednesday, April 28, 2010

The Monark Five Jet (Part 1 of 3)


My best friend and next door neighbor, David Datwyler and his family were moving to Germany for more than a year. I dreaded the time they would have to leave, but in 1970, the day finally came and they were gone. I knew I would never have enough money to buy a plane ticket to go visit them, so I tried to devise ways to get there on my own. One way was to build a trans-atlantic railroad and then build a train to ride there. That didn’t work so well. When I took stock of my wood supply for building, I only had enough for a few railroad ties. I even tried building a submarine, but after building the bottom, I realized that it would be impossible to make old weathered plywood, airtight.
Then I got an idea. The Datwylers went to Germany by way of a jet plane, why not build one?

No comments:

Post a Comment