
In a minute they both called, “Here we come, Billy.”
It didn’t take long for the rest of the kids to notice we were finding more trash than they were. Our garbage can filled up pretty fast, and we had to go dump it.
After we came back from dumping the trash, I saw several kids in the field, picking up trash on the other side of the fence. When we slipped through to the other side, we started working hard so we wouldn’t be out-done. I even went a little overboard. Not only did I pick up garbage, but also clumps of old dried grass clippings as well. Before long other kids had stopped collecting garbage and started watching me work. I was amazing! All that attention made me work even harder. I didn’t care if the trash was wet and soggy, dry and smelly, or had bugs crawling all over it. It was litter, and it needed to be picked up!
When the hour had expired, Mrs. Church blew a loud whistle, and we all headed to the dumpster to dump the trash one last time. As we walked into our classroom, Mrs. Church produced a large bag filled with smaller bags of M&M’s. She went on to explain that each group of two people would get to share a bag. But there was one bag left over. I had gotten the short end of the deal before by having to pick up trash with two girls. Now there was an extra bag. The whole class shouted in unison, “Give it to Billy!”
I felt like a hero. Somehow, that moment made it even more worthwhile to have picked up old, smelly, bug-infested trash.
Coming Tomorrow: Ward Dinners
No comments:
Post a Comment