Saturday, April 10, 2010

The Trash Pick-Up (Part 1 of 3)


One day in third grade we decided to have a litter clean-up day. Mrs. Church, our teacher, got all the classroom garbage cans and brought them to our room. There were just enough for two people to use one can. We were assigned to various areas of the school and school grounds to pick up all the litter and trash we could find. Mrs. Church told us where we could dump the trash when our garbage can got too full.
Then she said, “Let’s all meet back here in the classroom in one hour.” After that we all took off to our assignments. I said that there were enough garbage cans for two people to have one. Well, there was one group that had to have three people assigned to it. And that was mine. I was stuck with two girls. I liked them, but it wasn’t cool for a third grader to like girls, so on the outside I maintained the attitude of saying, “Yuck!”
We started working on our assigned location, the back fence of the school yard. It bordered on an open field which sloped gradually into a swamp. The field was a common site for dumping fill material, but people left their garbage there, too. The chain-link fence that bordered on the school property was about 1000 feet long and was often cluttered with papers and other refuse that had been blown against it by the wind.

No comments:

Post a Comment