Thursday, April 29, 2010

The Monark Five Jet (Part 2 of 3)


I went to the drawing board immediately. It was going to be called the Monark 5. That name sounded good even though there were no Monark 1 through 4s. From my previous airplane building experience I knew exactly what I needed to do. I wasn’t going to use a lawnmower engine this time. I was going to use jet engines! Well, not exactly jet engines. They were more like steam turbines. I would have a hot fire inside the body of the plane. This would heat a boiler and create steam. This would then be channeled to the wings where the engines were located. The steam would rush through and drive the turbines, which would turn a propeller and cause the plane to move forward. I had no idea at that time how a real jet engine worked so I decided steam would be the best. After all, Dad did tell me that steam was one of the most powerful forces known to man.
In the Book of Mormon, there is a story of a young man named Nephi who built a ship to carry his family across the ocean. His brothers made fun of him and said he couldn’t do it. He had faith, however and did a pretty good job at it. Soon his brothers helped him, and they finished the ship and did in fact sail across the ocean. I heard this story at the time I was preparing to build the Monark 5. I was impressed by the parallel to my own situation. I was building a jet to cross the ocean and continents. I was planning to take several members of my family with me, and I needed to have faith that I could do it!

No comments:

Post a Comment