
I was excited about the Monark 5. I drew pictures of it in flight over Salt Lake. I drew more and more detailed plans of how to build it, and most importantly, I started to assign seats for the trip to Germany. I even went so far as to prepare the plane tickets!
Dreaming was one thing -- it was an important part of my life to be sure -- but it wasn’t the same as actually doing something. When it came time to build, it was a little harder. Even though I had to keep the example of Nephi in my mind, it was discouraging to try and build a jet that would really fly, out of old splintery and nail-infested boards. With the help of some friends I built the frame of the jet. It was more of an outline, really. If you took a drawing of the outside edges of the plane and transferred it to boards, that is about what we had. The other dimensions still had to be added. It was exciting though, to see the shape of a jet plane that I made! We strapped it on to my wagon and paraded it through the neighborhood. People stopped to stare at the contraption that was coming down their street. It was about ten feet long and eight feet high, riding on a little red wagon with about five nine-year-old boys pushing, pulling, and supporting it. It was a triumph for me. Ridding through the streets of my neighborhood with my jet plane, the Monark
5.
That’s as far as I got. It was made out of wood, and I really didn’t have the expertise to build two jet turbines, (though I did get some large juice cans for the housings) After awhile I just decided to wait for David and his family to come home from Germany. Maybe my Jet also taught me a lesson. You can dream all you want, but you need to be practical too.
Coming Tomorrow: Where The Red Fern Grows
Interestingly enough, the basic design/shape of the Monarc 5 went on to become the space shuttle, the most successful space transport vehicle to date. (this is John)
ReplyDelete