Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Camping With Christopher (Part 3 of 4)


One night, Chris woke up screaming. I said, “What's wrong Christopher?”
“My nose. It hurts!”
“Why?”
“There’s something in it.”
I got my flashlight. I turned it on and looked up Christopher’s nose. There was a piece of hard plastic up there!
I found a small piece of paper in the tent. It would have to work instead of a Kleenex. “Blow your nose Christopher,” I said.
He blew. The plastic came out. Wow, was it big! “How did that get up there?” I asked.
“I don’t know, Billy. It just got stuck up there,” Chris said innocently.
On another evening I took Christopher across the creek to hike for a little while. It was chilly so Mom put Chris’s blue winter coat on him. We crossed the creek on a log that had fallen across the stream and formed a bridge. We had to walk on stones half way out and then we could step on the log. Although my sisters and I had become very proficient at walking across this bridge, Chris needed help, since he was little, but he wanted to walk alone. I let go of his hand, and he slowly, but bravely, walked across while the churning cold water raged on either side.
At the end of the log there was still another rock to step onto before we got to the other side, but before I could take his hand, Christopher jumped.
He didn’t make it.
Christopher fell into the ice cold water. I grabbed him and pulled
him out. It was a deep pool of water and he went all the way under. Luckily, he fell up stream from the rock or he would have been carried away by the current.
With Chris securely in my hands, I dashed across the log and the rocks and we all helped remove his wet coat and clothes and dry him off, and warm him up.

No comments:

Post a Comment