
The crowning achievement of my extra credit report writing was a fake diary I wrote. It was The Diary of James C. Elslow, a boy who lived in Scarbough, England in the 1300s. The diary was supposedly found by another boy in the 1800s who was instrumental in having it printed, but he didn’t change any of the spelling or grammar.
I started my project by “forging” the original diary. I did this on paper that I tried to make look really old by crumpling and then flattening them. I also used green ink which I thought looked quite medieval. After this, I carefully typed it the fake diary to make it look like the edition that was published in the 1800s. The sheets I used for this were four by six inches. Then I bound them all together in a little book. I had just gotten the book binding merit badge so I knew how to do this.
When I presented the whole thing to Mr. Wood, he was quite impressed with it, and although I didn’t ask for extra credit, he gave me some anyway.
After that, Mr. Wood had me do typing for labels and name cards for pictures in the class room. Up until that time, my extra credit reports hadn’t drawn too much attention from my teachers, but after I wrote, The Diary of James C. Elslow, Mr. Wood considered me one of the greatest writers Twin Peaks Elementary School had ever produced!
Coming Tomorrow: Dance to Hippie Music
No comments:
Post a Comment