
That was my overall experience with writing contests until a man from the newspaper came and visited our classroom. He announced a Fathers Day Writing contest. The entries had to be on a single sheet of paper and with a picture that we had drawn ourselves; they also had to be done in an hour. He passed out the paper and the red pens we were to use. Then he went on to the next classroom.
I set to work half-heartedly, the whole time watching a girl a few desks over from me. I kept thinking, “I’ll bet she wins. She always wins these things.” True, she had won several writing contests. Once she was even on TV reading something she had written.
I completed my essay and then illustrated it. I wasn’t pleased though. It didn’t sound profound enough. Everything that I ever read that won anything was always profound. I saw that I had about half an hour before the newspaper man returned to pick up our papers. I figured I had enough time to write another essay. Most kids were still working on theirs anyway. The next essay I wrote was profound. It had beautiful flowing language that sounded real impressive. But in an effort to make it sound that way, I had to make several changes. I saw I would have to write it over again. The newspaper man had left extra sheets of paper so I took another one from Miss Jones’ desk. Just as I was starting to copy my profound Fathers Day Essay, the newspaper man came back. As he gathered up the papers, I feverishly tried to copy the rest of my essay. He stood over my desk for a second or two, saying, “I’ve got to go now. I need your essay.”
Miss Jones said, “Billy’ this man needs your paper now or you can’t turn one in.”
I could see I would never finish in time so I handed the man the copy of my other essay. The man left with my essay that was no good and I crumpled up the profound essay and threw it in the trash.
No comments:
Post a Comment