
A few days later, we gathered in the multipurpose room for a school meeting. This room served as the gym, lunchroom and auditorium. Each class filed quietly into the large. Each child carried his own chair and sat on it in the assigned location. Excitement filled the air since we all knew it was the last day of school. Most of the time I sat with my class, but had to go up on stage and play with the band. Then I went back and sat in my seat. The principal made many presentations of awards to students and teachers who had been outstanding that year. Some kids got awards for never missing a day of school that year. Two kids, Dyke and Lane Simmons, even got awards for never missing a day -- ever!
Since I was thinking of all the things I would do that summer I didn’t see the man from the newspaper get up and say he was going to present the winner in the Fathers Day Writing contest. As I sat in my day dreams of summer vacation, suddenly someone poked me. Miss Jones leaned over from her seat and said, “Go up, Billy. You won!”
I was on my feet before I realized what had happened. Soon I
was up to the stage where the newspaper man was. He gave me the prize -- a Timex watch. After school I went out by the flag pole where a photographer from the newspaper took my picture. A few weeks later, on Fathers Day, we looked in the newspaper and they had published the winning entries from each school. We found mine. The essay was there along with the picture of a computer I had drawn and my photo was also there.
My family read the essay proudly:
Dad at Work
My dad goes to Work at 8:30 AM When he gets there every body will say
Hi Billy. He got that name when he was just starting to work there, for
many years that’s what they called him. When people should call him
Bill, they called him Billy.
He comes home from work late at night after a long day of having a computer blowing up and stuff like having the 6 turn into a 7 and 7 go all 9356.35965396.7 and
confusing stuff like A2X3Q x 93849 =
and 2/3x4/5x5/7x8/9x10/12 =?
by the time all this is done he comes home and builds 2 or 3 bed rooms and then finally goes to bed only to find that it is time to go to work
Billy Loveless, age 11 3/4 years old.
Coming Tomorrow: The Spirit of God Like a Fire Is Burning
No comments:
Post a Comment