Sunday, July 11, 2010

The Spirit of God Like a Fire Is Burning (Part 3 of 5)


As I got older, I didn’t memorize my talks. I just prepared things to say. But those early talks were good experience in memorization.
After the talks came the singing practice. The chorister would get up and lead us in our practice hymn for that month.
For many years I had been in the Jr. Sunday School, where we
learned songs for children. When I got old enough to go into the regular Sunday School, it was hard at first since we had to sing out of the hymnbook. I had trouble following along with all the little words in the book. It wasn’t until a few years later, when I was about nine, that my reading skills had improved to the point where I could follow along with the rest of the congregation.
After singing time, we were dismissed to class. The kids had a class for each age group, while the adults had only two or three classes to choose from. Some went to gospel doctrine, and others went to marriage and family relations. A few adults went to teacher development to learn how to be better teachers themselves.
Our classes lasted about forty-five minutes and then we went home.
In the afternoon, we went back to church for Sacrament Meeting. We walked in the chapel reverently as the organist played the prelude music. When our family was small we were content to sit on a side aisle, but as we grew we were proud to take up a whole center row.

No comments:

Post a Comment