Sunday, July 25, 2010

My Bad Knee (Part 3 of 4)


One day, my friend, Kyle, who was really good at softball, felt sorry for me. He said, “Hey Billy, can I pinch run for you?”
“Okay.”
Kyle announced that I would bat, and he would run. The other
kids got a little angry. “He has to play in the outfield if he wants to hit.”
Kyle silenced them. “Oh, come on. Let him hit for once.”
I hobbled out to the plate. Someone gave me a bat, and I dropped my crutches. I was ready. Kyle was in position just a few feet from me. I missed the first pitch, but the next was a hit -- right over the pitcher’s head!
Kyle took off. He made it to first. Then Troy got the ball, but over-threw it. Kyle ran to second. By this time I had grabbed my crutches. In the commotion, our man on third decided to steal for home. James, the first baseman threw the ball to home. It was overthrown again. This time, Kyle ran to third base and the other guy made it to home. Kyle was close behind him. As he crossed over the plate, he said to me, “Congratulations Billy. You hit a home run!”

No comments:

Post a Comment