Wednesday, August 18, 2010

General Conference (Part 3 of 4)


Mormons like to sing a lot. The Tabernacle Choir was on hand for many of the sessions to sing and provide a more spiritual setting. Other choirs like a choir made up of all the choruses from Brigham Young University also participated. Sometimes childrens choirs sang too.
On Saturday nights only the men attended the Priesthood session. It was not broadcast over the TV or Radio, but was relayed, closed circuit, to meeting houses all over the world. My dad always went to that meeting, but I never did. That is until I turned twelve and was ordained to the priesthood myself.
My first priesthood session was in October 1973. Dad and I could have driven a mile or so to our stake center where the sound was piped in over the phone lines. But instead w drove a little farther to the Granite Tabernacle, located in the Sugarhouse area of Salt Lake where they had the Priesthood session on television.
As we approached the building, we saw an open window on the second floor. In that window they had a small microwave dish set up for the closed circuit broadcast. It was exciting to walk into the old building with my dad. I had gone to church meetings there when I was younger, but it had been years since I had been inside. We climbed up several flights of wooden stairs until we reached the
balcony. We could look down on all the people in the hall. Several TVs were set up throughout the congregation. A few TV sets were also in the balcony.
Before the meeting started, Dad handed me a white 3x5 card and a pencil. “So you can take notes,” he said.

No comments:

Post a Comment