Even though my hormones were changing me from a boy to an adolescent, I still went out and played in my back yard sand pile that night. In years past I had built cities, dams, and had caused terrible destruction by causing the dam to break. I still felt like doing that now and I realized I was still a little boy inside.
I had two forces pulling inside. One was saying, “You’re growing up now. Forget these childish things and put your whole heart into chasing girls.” The other force said, “You’ll have your whole life to be a grown up. Stay a little boy for as long as you can.”
I reflected on these two feelings as I molded and shaped my sand
buildings, there in the sandpile. I thought surely, this night was the end of my childhood. I knew if Robin read my note the next day and felt the same way about me as I felt for her, I would have no more time for sandpiles. I was sad, because I truly wanted to stay little, and be a boy all my life. But then I could hear the hormones taking again. They were telling me that it was time to move on.
As I walked to school the next day trembling with the love note in my hand, I tried to rebel against those hormones. It was useless. So I resigned myself to follow them and do what ever they had to say. I really liked girls now anyway. I loved Robin. But I also decided that I would forever remain a little boy. I guess we call it being young at heart. And I think we all are.
(By the way, when Robin got the note she sent one back telling me to get lost!)
No comments:
Post a Comment