Sunday, August 15, 2010

The Priesthood (Part 5 of 5)


After the meeting, the Bishop and his two counselors, with Earl Gubler, who would be my scoutmaster and priesthood teacher, my dad, and a lot of my relatives, gathered in a classroom down the hall of the Church. The women and children sat around the outside of the room while the men stood and placed a single chair in the middle of the floor.
The bishop invited me to sit down on a chair in the center of the room and then he and all the rest of the men formed a circle around me. Each of them placed a hand on my head and rested their other hand on the shoulder of the man standing next to him in the circle. Dad stood behind me. My father began: “William Duncan Loveless the Fifth, in the name of Jesus Christ and by the power of the Melchizedek Priesthood which we hold, we lay our hands on your head and confer upon you the Aaronic Priesthood and ordain you to the office of deacon in The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.”
I was a deacon! I now held the priesthood. As I shook the hands of everyone in the circle, and went to give my mom a hug, I thought of the last line of the song, “I might be envied by a king, for I am a Mormon Boy.” Now, I truly would be envied by a king. I had the Priesthood of God!

Coming Tomorrow: General Conference

No comments:

Post a Comment