Friday, August 13, 2010

The Priesthood (Part 3 of 5)


My birthday came and I even got a calculator from my grandpa. A year before they had been $400.00, and only to add, subtract, multiply, and divide, now the price had come down quite a bit. The calculator I got could even do square root! The next Sunday in Sacrament meeting, The Bishop said, “I’d like Billy Loveless to come up here please.”
We usually sat fairly close to the front, and I was sitting next to the aisle so it didn’t take me long to get to the pulpit where the bishop was. I was wearing a dark blue jacket, blue checked polyester pants and a red tie. By early 1970s standards, I looked real sharp.
The bishop put a hand on my shoulder. He spoke into the microphone. “I want you all to get a good look at Billy here. He’s so tall many of you probably thought he should have been a deacon along time ago.
“Well, as you know, the Lord has told us that a young man needs to wait until he is twelve before he can receive the Aaronic Priesthood.
“Billy just turned twelve a few days ago. I have had the privilege of talking with him and I find him worthy in every way to be ordained to the office of Deacon in the church.
“Those who can sustain us in this action, please raise your hand.”
I looked out at the vast congregation. They all raised their hands. Bishop Webb spoke again, “Those opposed by the same sign.”
I held my breath. This was the biggie. No one raised their hand against me. It was unanimous in my favor. It usually was anyway, but one always worries.
“Billy has also graduated from the Primary organization. We’d like to present him with this certificate of graduation.”

No comments:

Post a Comment