Sunday, August 1, 2010

Reading In Sixth Grade (Part 3 of 4)


(Dad had us pose for this picture with a couple we ran into at the Cottonwood Mall.)
There were four seventh grade books, about one-fourth of an inch thick. Each had about five short stories or book excepts. After each story, there was a list of questions about what we had just read. Each question had to be answered with a paragraph. Since a few other students had also finished the text books of the sixth grade level, we had time during our reading class to do the reading in the seventh grade books and answer the questions. About five of us would sit at a table at the back of the class and do the assignments together. But I wanted to do more than that. I was about half way through the seventh grade books when I discovered that Mrs. Crompton had a series of four more books that were on the eighth grade level!
Suddenly, I was consumed by the project. I wanted to be the first kid in sixth grade to finish not only the seventh grade level, but the eighth grade level books, as well. I took books home and read late into the night. I also answered the questions. They demanded the most quality answers in the neatest handwriting, but I did them. One nice thing about a paragraph, is that it can be as long or as short as you want it. I didn’t feel I had to ramble on to a certain length. When I had summarized my thought, I ended it.

No comments:

Post a Comment