On the Sunday before my twelfth birthday, the ward clerk said the bishop wanted to see me. I knew that was the moment for my interview. The Bishop was going to determine if I was worthy to become a deacon.
I sat nervously in Bishop Webb’s office while he was out in the hail conducting some business with another member for a few seconds. Then he came in and closed the door behind him. He sat down at his desk.
“Well, Billy,” the Bishop Webb began, “Sister Robinson, the primary president has recommended that you be graduated from primary and also that you receive the Aaronic Priesthood. Do you know what the priesthood is?”
My age group in primary had been called the Blazers. We had as our theme song a song that went like this:
Light the Torch,
Light the Torch,
Blaze the way to the Priesthood of God!
I was well schooled in what the priesthood was. I answered the Bishop’s question. “It is the power of God given to men.”
“Yes, that’s right, Billy. I am pleased you know that. Now obviously, God wouldn’t want you to have his power if you weren’t worthy to hold it. Would he?”
“I’m going to ask you a few questions to determine if you are worthy. Now please answer them in all honestly.”
I swallowed. This was the big interview I had heard about.
“Are you morally clean?”
I looked the bishop in the eye. “Yes.” I knew that morally clean meant to be free from sexual sin.
“Do you pay your tithing?”
“Yes.”
“Do you obey the Word of Wisdom, meaning you don’t smoke or drink, or use illegal drugs?”
“Yes, I obey it.”
“Do you accept Harold B. Lee as the Prophet of the Lord?”
“Yes.”
“Are you honest in all you do and say?”
“Yes.”
The bishop smiled at me. “You are worthy to become a deacon, Billy. Congratulations!”
No comments:
Post a Comment