Thursday, August 19, 2010

General Conference (Part 4 of 4)


The meeting began and we turned our attention to the TV screen. Harold B. Lee, who was the President of the Church, welcomed us. “We are glad to see so many fathers with their sons tonight.” I knew he was speaking about the audience in the Tabernacle, but I was proud to be with my dad, none-the-less. “This is a great body of priesthood brethren assembled both here in the Tabernacle and throughout the world. There is real power here tonight.” Again, I felt proud. I was part of that great throng.
As the various speakers got up to address us, I took great care to take notes on the 3x5 card my dad gave me. He kept checking to see that I was taking notes and he gave me a new one when I needed it.
The two hours were soon over. President Lee was the last speaker. None of us knew it then, but he would die before the year was over. We listened to his parting words as he encouraged us to continue living good lives. After the closing song by the choir, and the prayer we slowly filed out of the building.
Dad and I then went out for ice cream. The ice cream parlor was jammed with fathers and sons doing the same thing. It was a great thing to be doing, to attend and watch General Conference.

Coming Tomorrow: Uncle Leonard

No comments:

Post a Comment