Tuesday, August 24, 2010

The Hormones said, “Start Liking Girls . . .” (Part 1 of 3)


In the spring of my twelfth year some little hormone, probably released from my pituitary gland, said to the rest of my body, “Start liking girls.”
Up until that time, girls were something to be shunned. If I had to sit by a girl in school or at church, I squirmed in my seat and tried to sit as far away from her as was physically possible. If a girl touched me, I had girl’s fleas. (The only way you could be immune from girl’s fleas was to write on your shoe with pen “FBI” which stood for Flea Bite Insurance. Of course I was never caught dead without “FBI” written on my shoe.)
The first indication that something had changed inside of me was the way I looked at girls. Suddenly they were the most beautiful creatures on earth! I had one problem though, I hadn’t exactly built up a good rapport with them. Not with all that business about girl’s fleas and squirming anyway.
First, in my sixth grade class there was a girl named Lisa. She sat just a few seats in front of me. I would stare at her from the back all day long. She had short styled strawberry blond hair and freckles. When I went home after school, I would silently proclaim, “1 love Lisa!” I wrote many love letters too her, but of coarse, I never dared to give them to her.

No comments:

Post a Comment