Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Electronics (Part 2 of 3)


I was doing so well that Dad ordered an electronics kit for me. It had 35 different electronics projects in one. It took several weeks to arrive, so in the meantime, Dad had me work on a radio made with tubes. He drew a schematic diagram and found all the right parts for me. There were two tubes, one tuning capacitor, a volume control, and finally some little resistors and capacitors. Then he wired some of the sections of the radio. After that, he had me do the wiring. It took a long time, but I finished the radio. It hummed a little, but that was all. We never did get the bugs out since my electronic kit soon arrived in the mail.
Dad gave me some assistance as I put the kit together. And then
we worked together to make certain projects. The kit was assembled in such a way that after the initial construction, it could be made into many kinds of projects. Instead of soldering the connections, there were little springs that you lifted up and slipped a wire underneath. The wires were pre-cut and color coded for different lengths. The assembly manual was very easy to follow. Each kit was more like a recipe. When Dad and I worked together, it went something like this:
Dad would read the book . . . Attach a red wire to R-23.”
I picked up a three-inch red wire and attached it to one end of a resistor that was designated as connection R-23.

No comments:

Post a Comment