Wednesday, February 17, 2010

I Might Be Envied By A King (Part 1 of 3)


One Sunday my family was asked to put on a program in church about Family Home Evening. We were to do an actual Family Home Evening for the whole congregation. Although in real life our weekly Family Home Evenings are planned in a few minutes, we practiced for quite some time for this program.
The program went well. We all remembered our parts and we even played a game. Yes, right there in church. It was called the iron rod game. We had to walk across a thin piece of wood and it was very hard to do. Nobody could get all the way across without losing their balance and falling. Then we did it again, this time holding onto a long piece of copper pipe. This was like the iron rod in the scriptures. It symbolized the word of God. If we held to the iron rod we wouldn’t fall off the straight and narrow path and we would get to heaven.
After the game came a skit. My sister, Vera, and I went out of
the “house” and knocked on the door. My dad answered and we introduced ourselves as Mormon Missionaries. We talked to this ‘non-member family” for a few minutes and then Dad said, “Just what are Mormons?” And I said, “I will sing you a song about them.” At this point my mom broke out of her role-play as the non-member mother and walked to the church piano and sat down. I followed her and stood right in front of the piano. She started to play. I was a bit nervous because I had never sung a solo in church before. But I began:

Kind friends, as here I stand to sing,
So very queer I feel,
That now I’ve made my bow, I fear
I don’t look quite genteel;


But never mind, for I’m a boy
That’s always full of joy;
A rough and ready sort of chap;
An honest Mormon Boy.

A Mormon boy, a Mormon boy,
I am a Mormon boy;
I might be envied by a king,
For I am a Mormon boy.

No comments:

Post a Comment