Thursday, February 25, 2010

The New Cub Scout (Part 1 of 2)


I was excited when the cub scout master, Brother Datwyler, came over to our house. When I was four years old, I used to see boys dressed in their blue cub scout uniforms as they walked to school. I wanted to be a cub scout too. Now it was almost my turn. Brother Datwyler said, “Billy, do you know what cub scouts do?”
I answered, “Go on hikes?”
“Well,” Brother Datwyler said, “That is one thing they do. Cub scouts also learn to do things like tie knots and build radios.”
“Radios! Oh wow!” I said.
The next week I went to my first den meeting. I had a nice new blue uniform. The day before, my mom had taken me to the store to try it on, and buy it. I was so proud to have it that I wanted to wear it to bed. At the den meeting, I was with several other boys who had become cub scouts a few months before. My den mother was Sister Datwyler, the wife of the cub master. After letting us play for awhile, she told us it was time to start. We practiced tying knots and then we went outside and played soccer for a while.
A few weeks later, all the cub scouts in the neighborhood got together with their parents and had a pack meeting at the church building. There was a flag ceremony and several boys got awards. My den put on a skit for the rest of the people. The skit was about a car. Each boy in the den pretended to be part of the car. I was a wheel. My part in the skit was to fall off the car. It was a funny skit.
After the skit it was time for the initiation into the pack. The rest of the new boys and I had to do funny things to be officially welcomed into the cub scout pack. Brother Datwyler put on a pirate’s hat. He said in a gruff pirate’s voice, “Aye, Billy, we’re going to make ye walk the plank.”

No comments:

Post a Comment