Thursday, February 4, 2010

Vera And The Driveway (Part 1 of 3)


As a small child I was envious of my parents because they got to drive the car and I didn’t. One of my dreams was to some day be able to drive a car. I knew I would be old enough in the far-off future, but that was very far off.
One night, I dreamed that I was driving a car. But the dream turned into a nightmare. I dreamed that Vera and I were in the car when it suddenly started moving. We both cried and screamed as we sat in the front seat and were powerless to stop the car. I woke up right before we would have crashed or went off a cliff or something.
My parents didn’t have a brand new car until I was sixteen years old and started to drive myself. Before that my parents always bought their cars used. Maybe for that reason my parents allowed us kids to play in the car. We would spend hours at the wheel and as long as we didn’t honk the horn too much, we had no restrictions.
One Saturday night in the summer we were getting ready to go to a family reunion. It was an exciting time. We were going to see aunts, uncles, cousins, and other relatives. There would also be good food and socializing. Vera and I were the first to finish getting ready and we stood waiting, all clean and dressed in our best play clothes. Mom was in the house getting the younger kids ready. Dad had just backed the car out of the carport and left it in the middle of the driveway. Then he went back in the house to help Mom get things ready.

No comments:

Post a Comment