As we arrived at our house I wanted to try and be the best kid I could be. I helped my mom with the car door, I opened the door to the house for my parents, and I was a very good helper for days afterward.
The great day finally arrived. On Saturday morning I bubbled over with anticipation until that afternoon when we were to go the baptismal service. It was to be held in the stake center. The word “stake” is taken from the book of Isaiah were the church is compared to a tent, and the stakes anchor it firmly in place. We were part of the South Cottonwood Stake which was made up of ten congregations, or wards, at that time. We belonged to the Seventh Ward.
At the baptismal meeting, children from all ten wards were to be baptized on that day.
When we walked in the building, the first thing we did was to go to a closet where a lady was handing out white clothes. My dad and I waited in line with the other children and the men who were to baptize them. I was proud that my dad was going to baptize me. Just about every worthy man in the church holds the priesthood and has the authority to baptize, so most children would be baptized that day by their fathers, but I was still proud.
After we received our clothes, Dad and I dressed and went into the chapel and sat on the back row. Everyone else on the row was dressed in white. I noticed my mom and sisters sitting on a bench several rows in front of us. I also saw my grandparents and other relatives. They had all come to see me baptized!
No comments:
Post a Comment