
One day when she was eighteen months old, I made some flash cards for her. Mom had been using flash cards on me to help me learn arithmetic and music, now it was my turn to use them to turn Lisa into a genius. Each card had a picture of some part of a rocket.
I walked into Lisa’s room. She was rolling around on her little bed.
“Flash cards, Lisa!” I said.
“Fla ca” Lisa said.
I showed her the first picture. “Rocket. Say ‘rocket’, Lisa”
“Roc’ t”
“Good!” I went to the next picture. “Nose cone.”
“No-co,” Lisa said.
“Engine.”
“En gi.”
“Space Suit.”
“Spa s’t.”
After I went through the stack of cards, I started over again. This time I didn’t tell Lisa what they were, I expected my one-year-old sister to know them already. This got a little frustrating. She didn’t know them at all!She quickly became bored with my project and tried to get the colorfully drawn pictures away from me. When she succeeded in snatching the cards away, she wouldn’t give them back. I grabbed them away from her and then she went crying to Mom. To this day, I regret not being able to make Lisa the foremost authority on space and rockets.
No comments:
Post a Comment