Thursday, February 18, 2010

I Might Be Envied By A King (Part 2 of 3)


I made it through the first verse. I caught my breath just before I went into the chorus. It was the easy part, but most of the song I had worked for weeks to memorize. Mom even had Dad print it out on his computer over and over again so I could learn it by repetition. Then I braced myself for the second verse:

I’m proud to know that I was born
Among these mountains high,
Where I’ve been taught to love the truth,
And never tell a lie;

Yet I’ll confess that I am wild,
And often do annoy
My dearest friends, but that’s a fault
Of many a Mormon boy.

I seemed to breeze through that verse. I had by that time blurred my vision of the congregation so I couldn’t see the people I was singing to. I knew that if I looked at any of my friends, I would be a little embarrassed, or they might try and make me laugh. I was confident for the third verse:

My father is a Mormon true,
And when I am a man,
I want to be like him and do
Just all the good I can.

My faults I’ll fry to overcome,
And while I life enjoy,
With pride I’ll lift my head and say
I am a Mormon boy.

A Mormon boy, a Mormon boy,
I am a Mormon boy;
I might be envied by a king,
For I am a Mormon boy.

No comments:

Post a Comment