
My parents and I walked into the church. It was empty except for a few people working in the bishop’s office. It was a week night and no activities such as basket ball games or other events had been planed. It was an important night for me though -- I was to have my baptismal interview.
I remember it well.
Bishop Kim greeted us, “Well, Brother and Sister Loveless and Billy, come with me.”
We followed the bishop into a room just down the hall from his office. Some of his clerks were using his office, and he didn’t want to disturb them. So we entered a rather large classroom and sat down. He began the interview: “Now Billy, I understand you just turned eight years old. Is that right?”
I nodded my head, yes. My birthday had been that Sunday but I was to shy to say it. The bishop went on. “I am going to ask you a few questions to see if you are worthy to be baptized at this time.”
After asking me a several things and also talking to my parents about what a good boy I was, Bishop Kim then said, “Billy, do you know what a covenant is?”
I shook my head this time, and said softly, “No.”
“A covenant is a special promise you make with Jesus. You promise to do certain things and keep his commandments and he promises to bless you. You will be making a covenant when you are baptized. Do you think you can keep those promises?”
I nodded yes. I didn’t really understand everything my bishop told me that night, but I did remember the part about the promise.
No comments:
Post a Comment