
Back in the dressing room we quickly changed out of our wet clothes and into our dry clothes. When we came out the whole family was waiting for us. Everyone congratulated me on being baptized. Dad got his movie camera out and took a picture of me walking out of the stake center. Then everyone thought it would be funny to take a movie of me holding my sister Lisa for a few seconds--stop the film and then take Lisa away--only to re-start the movie. This gave the effect of Lisa disappearing out of my arms.
Later that afternoon, our family went to the Sizzler Restaurant for dinner. After we got our food, Dad pulled out a little wrapped package. He said, “Billy, we are proud of you that you have chosen to be baptized a member of the Mormon Church. Mom and I want to give you this present on your baptismal day.”
I opened it. It was a copy of the Book of Mormon. My sisters all looked envious. The book had a pretty sky-blue cover with a picture of the golden statue of the Angel Moroni that adorned the top of the Salt Lake Temple. I thumbed through the pages briefly. All my life I had been raised in the church. But now I realized, I was a Mormon Boy.
No comments:
Post a Comment