
We brought our own picnic lunch or dinner, so we could eat whatever we wanted. Some families brought Kentucky Fried Chicken. I always thought they were lucky -- Mom made us a picnic lunch – tuna fish sandwiches with sweet pickles on them, macaroni and shrimp salad, cookies, and homemade punch. As I look back on it, I realize how lucky we were to have pic nic meal made by Mom. Each family sat together. Occasionally I would spot people I knew, but most of the relatives were just people I saw every year at the family reunions. It seemed the larger the family got, the less we knew of each other. But we were all there to pay tribute to our common ancestors and celebrate the opportunity to come together in this busy world.
While we were eating dinner, sometimes an aunt or grandmother would circulate among the families, hugging and kissing as she went around. Sometimes someone would come to our table and say, “Here, try my potato salad.” And then she’d slap a big spoonful on your plate. No matter how many people there were in our family that made potato salad, or how many variations there are, it was always good.
No comments:
Post a Comment