
The field trip was wonderful and fascinating for me. We saw the Army’s new computers, many different kinds of military vehicles, and lots of buildings. There were hot dogs and drinks for us there, too. But the best part, and one I had anticipated the most, was the ride in a real army tank. The commander of the army depot wanted all the school children to have the experience of riding on some form of army vehicle. They had several tanks and transports available for us children to ride in. I got on one that was mostly armored, but was open at the top. It was used to transport troops. I boarded it with my classmates. It was fun, driving around the compound with the other kids. The army men who were driving were having a good time, too.
The ride was over all too soon, and we had to get out. I knew I would have to make my move. I had a very tiny bundle of paper in my pocket. I slipped my hand down the pocket and pulled out the paper. As I started to get off the vehicle, I dropped the folded up paper onto the floor. I knew it would be found by someone who would immediately turn it in to his commanding officer.
In the days and weeks that followed, I waited for the army to get in touch with me. I wondered, “Did I give detailed enough instructions? Did I forget to put my address? Why don’t they call me? Surely, this is the most important weapon ever thought up by men, or for that matter, boys.”
Well the Undestructible Tank is still not listed in the army’s weapons catalog. There is no such thing as a tank two football fields long and a football field wide. If anyone from the army ever found my plans way back then they would have had a good chuckle over my idea for a machine gun missile launcher.
Coming Tomorrow: “Throw A Rock At Connie!”
No comments:
Post a Comment