
The building of Twin Peaks Elementary School was completed one year before I went to Kindergarten. It was a one-level school built of white brick, like most schools in the 1960s. It seemed to sprawl on forever on a very large lot a block-and-a-half from our home. It was named Twin Peaks, after a mountain close by.
It had a large playground, in fact, an extremely large playground. There were tricky bars, swings, softball diamonds, and black top areas for basketball, four-square, and teather ball. Of course there were lots of wide-open grassy playing fields also.
I guess if you pinned me down during a rather serious moment, I would say I really enjoyed school during my seven years there. I had some excellent teachers, people who not only taught me what they were supposed to teach, but left their own impact on my life. However, most of the time, I referred to my stay at Twin Peaks as my prison term. All the windows at the school had a system of vertical window shades that when open looked like bars over the windows. This didn’t help matters.
No comments:
Post a Comment