
Towards the end of sixth grade, we started getting a different sort of educational experience. This was the video cassette player. I think we paid attention to the large box on a shelf below the TV more than we did the educational program recorded on the cassette.
I did a lot of pretending and day dreaming at school. At home, one of my favorite TV programs was Hogan’s Heroes. I spent many hours fantasizing how I was going to start an underground organization at school and tunnel out to freedom. I would make a trap door behind the mirror in the boys rest room that would lead to our underground maze of tunnels. One day when the school had been taken over by communists, we would need my organization to secretly fight them. It wasn’t really the case, but it sure was fun to think about. Certainly it was a lot better than staring at a page of arithmetic.
Coming Tomorrow: Reading In the Third Grade
No comments:
Post a Comment