Monday, May 10, 2010

Reading In the Third Grade (Part 1 of 4)


When I began the first grade our teacher, Mrs. Brumba, immediately taught us I how to spell and recognize a few basic words. On the first Saturday after school began, I wanted to show off my new knowledge to my cousins, Bobby and Ronnie. I was at their house, sitting on their porch, when I told my cousin, Ronnie, to ask me to spell some words.
“How do you spell, ‘red,”’ Ronnie said.
I rolled my eyes back into my head as if to look into my brain. I began, “R ... E ...”
Bobby blurted out, “R-E-D.” Bobby was in second grade. I gave him a look that said, “Show off!”
Ronnie scolded Bobby. He was a few years older than Bobby and he didn’t want him to spell the words before I even had a chance to think of them. So Ronnie tried again. “How do you spell ‘blue.’”
Again I looked into my brain. The word “blue” was harder to spell than red. “B...L...”
Bobby quickly spelled, “B-L-U-E.”
Ronnie and I gave up.

No comments:

Post a Comment