
I also remember when former President Eisenhower died. Mr. Holmes came on the P.A. System to tell us the news. He said, “We will have one minute of silence to honor this great man.” None of us had even been born when he was president, but we were quiet anyway.
For lunch we had three options: One, go home to eat lunch; two, stay at school and eat a sack lunch; or, three, have a hot lunch prepared in the school kitchen. At various times I tried all three, and though each was great, I was somewhat partial to the hot lunch. I really liked food. If a kid didn’t want some of his lunch, I could usually get it from him if I had a lunch tray. I could say, “David, do you want your mashed potatoes?”
“No, Billy. Do you want them?”
“Yes.”
Then we would push our trays together and I would spoon his mashed potatoes onto my tray. It was a pretty good system since I liked almost all of the kinds of food they gave us for school lunch.
In fourth grade I learned how to get free school lunch. For two weeks I was a lunch worker. I worked in the assembly line to put food on the lunch trays for the other kids.
No comments:
Post a Comment